Sunday, September 5, 2010

Marvelous Mom Monday - Sarah - Melon Dot Designs



It's Marvelous Monday here on the blog! Time to get up close and personal with our featured EtsyMom seller, Sarah, of Melon Dot Designs. Her designs combine fun and fresh with a touch of whimsy to dress your child in style!

Tell us about yourself!

My name is Sarah and I am an artist, designer and mom living in the midwest with my husband and two littles, Ava, age 3 (terribly close to 4) and Hudson who is 21 months old. We also have a much heard dog named Izzy. My husband works crazy hours and so my business is primarily a nap and after bedtime venture. I have so many ideas that I want to see added to my shoppe and so many projects that I want to do just for myself in the near future. Before having children, I taught in an elementary school; however, after Ava was born I developed a passion for kid’s style and design and have since opened Melon Dot Designs. I am also writing a blog called Little Citizens of the World. I feature lots of amazing designers and products, from the divine to street-style cool. There’s also a lot of my life as a mum and the world as viewed by my littles mixed in. It seems that new things are happening all the time, we are a busy little family.

What makes you unique as a woman?

Honestly, I am unique just because I am me. I try to always be myself—if you think about it that is not always the easiest thing to do in the moment.

What do you love about kids?

What is there not to love? They have so much energy, they have a fierce love, they want to know it all, see it all, and try it all. It is fun to play with them while being a kid again myself.

What are you currently doing besides your creative craft?

I am a stay at home mom and I am embracing these fleeting years. Someone once told me that some moments may seem never-ending but, the years will pass by so quickly. And, when that tantrum strikes again, I remind myself of this and I look at my two littles and wonder how they have grown so much in the short little time that they have been in my world.

I also love to read and craft with my kids. I am also working with a local art gallery to bring more kids’ activities to our small town. Again, th
ere are lots of things that I want to try and photography is one of them to add to the list. Since it is still summer we are also big on being outdoors and whenever we can we like to be in the water.


What is the address for your Etsy shop?

http://www.melondot.etsy.com

What do you offer in your Etsy shop?

In my shoppe right now, I am offering ‘unique custom clothes for littles.’ I {heart} custom orders. I use wool felt, eco-felt, and designer fabrics to create appliqués. I have also just added embroidered pieces to my shoppe.

Where do you create?

I create in my little corner of the house….i.e. the dining room table. It is off to the side in our home and well, I really don’t think that the room would get used for its real purpose anyway. I dream of my own crafting room some day and stash away photos in a file of things I desire for that room and my future dream house.

Where do you find your inspiration?

I am inspired by so many things. I have a very long list of blogs that I follow so there’s alwayssomething that sparks my thoughts. I also love just listening and watching my kids. They always have something creative or imaginative to add. Fabric also plays a big part in design and I find delight in browsing through the local store.

How did you get started in your line of business?

I was given my grandmother’s sewing machine awhile back and to do all her craftiness justice I started tinkering with sewing and have not stopped. I just wish I could have asked her to teach me more—that lady knew everything.


Blooming Flowers tee, $20


How do you promote your business?

I am just starting out and really hope to continue promoting and finding new ways to get the word out. My husband is a big supporter and I try to make sure that he always has a business card or brochure with him. Also, I didn’t even realize it but, I just reached my one year shoppe anniversary!!! That may require some celebrating in the store!

What is one of your most important lessons you've learned since starting your business?

My business is a way for me to still be a me that is not just a mom. This is a venue that allows me to be creative and try new things. That said, I don’t let my shoppe take over my life. My kids can do that all on their own.


love you to the moon. rocket tee, $20


What advice would you give someone just starting out?

Make sure that what you are doing has meaning and value to you. And, always love what you do. Life is to be enjoyed.

What are some of your favorite online shops on and off Etsy?

I have a terribly long list of favorites on Etsy with such a wide range of talents and items.

www.jcrew.com
www.target.com
www.urbanexpressions.etsy.com
www.lovemaestore.etsy.com
www.bauerdesigns.etsy.com
www.sewnnatural.etsy.com
www.poppytalkhandmade.com

What are your other sites (i.e. Blogger, Wordpress, Facebook, Twitter)?

http://www.melondot.etsy.com
http://www.littlecitizensoftheworld.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/melondot

Be sure to visit Sarah's Etsy shop and leave a comment here letting her know how much you enjoy her work!