Monday, July 12, 2010

Marvelous Mom Monday - Barb - Mimi Marie Designs

Happy Monday all! If you're looking for beautifully, handcrafted jewelry that warms the heart and spices up any outfit, then look no further than the shop of today's Marvelous Mom. Her handstamped silver jewelry is beautiful and inspiring. Let's get to know Barb, the fabulous mom and creative talent behind Mimi Marie Designs (http://mimimarie573.etsy.com/).

Tell us about yourself? I am a work at home mom of two energetic boys ages 2 & 4! I live in New Jersey with a super supportive husband and one crazy dog named Daphanie.

What makes you unique as a woman? Hmmm.. I guess I would say being able to balance being a wife, mom and business woman. The everyday life of kids, husband, house, etc., really leaves little time for operating a business. I really think all working moms are unique just by being able to have it all and being able to balance it.

What do you love about Kids? I love the innocence of kids and how they really keep you young at heart! The laughter I share with my children everyday makes me smile long after they have been tucked in for the night!

What are you currently doing besides your creative craft? Besides my creative craft I am busy chasing around two little boys and keeping them busy over the summer with swimming and vacations!

What is the address for your Etsy shop? I actually have two at the present moment,
Mimi Marie Designs: http://www.mimimarie573.etsy.com/ and

Earthy Elegance Jewelry Designs: http://www.earthy573.etsy.com/.

The earthy573 shop will be closing in the future and I will be focusing on my mimimarie573 shop.

What do you offer in your Etsy shop? My mimimarie573 shop will soon be full of treasures including my jewelry and other accessories such as classic clutch purses made from vintage, retro and upcycled fabrics!

Where do you create? I create at home in my studio which I share with my husband.

Where do you find your inspiration? My inspiration comes from colors that I see, fabric that I just fall in love with, and for my jewelry sayings that I hear or quotes that I love.


How did you get started in your line of business? I am a girly girl living in a house of boys! I find my designing is a much needed way of bringing out the feminine side of me that spends most of her day knee deep in mud, worms, fishing, and anything else that is boy related!

How do you promote your business? I promote my business A LOT online. I also do local craft shows and fundraising events. My business has spread through my friends and family and word of mouth referrals, that I am so super thankful for!

What is one of your most important lessons you've learned since starting your business? Oh definitely being able to balance it with having two small children with a husband that travels for a living! I have learned that all days are not going to be work days in the studio and that is okay. Somedays will be good and some will be crazy and some days will be just darn insane! But that’s all about being a working mom right?!

What advice would you give someone just starting out? Well, I am still fairly new with my Etsy shop but I would have to say patience. Just keep plugging along and promoting and things will start to happen!


What are some of your favorite online shops on and off Etsy? Oh my goodness I have TONS!! Just check out my list on My Favorites there are so many!! Of course all my EtsyMom shops are tops of the list!!

What are your other sites (i.e. Blogger, Wordpress, Facebook, Twitter)?
and be sure to visit her Etsy shop and leave a comment letting her know how much you enjoy her work!