Saturday, July 14, 2007

Jess Is All Sweet


Etsymom Jess
allsweet.etsy.com
Dallas, GA USA



Tell us a bit about you and your family.
Where to start with that ha-ha. My husband and I have been happily married for a little over 6 years. All together we have 4 children- two together and we each have one from a previous relationship. It's almost like we're the Brady Bunch! I stay at home with my kids but plan on getting a part time job when the youngest starts school full time.

What do you do and how did you start? A little of everything in a way. I've always loved sewing but don't get as much time as I'd like for that. I got into making hair accessories and jewelry shortly after I had my youngest. I pretty much just started tinkering with the stuff. A dear friend of mine asked me if I could add onto a bracelet she had and it just took off from there. I really owe it all to her. She had posted a picture of the bracelet on a message board and shortly after I was swamped with orders.

How did you first begin to sell/market your work?
I sell mostly around town. It really all happened by accident. After testing waters around town I started doing a few small craft shows. Now, after debating other sources, I've opened an Etsy shop. Etsy really is wonderful.

How did you first hear of Etsy? I first heard about Etsy through a friend on a Yahoo message board. After checking it out and debating for a few months I finally jumped in and couldn't be happier.

What do you like about Etsy?
Everything! The people (staff and other Etsians) are so helpful and funny. I love spending time in the morning reading through the forum. I love the Street Teams too especially EtsyMom.


What kind of work environment do you have?

Relaxed. I make my creations at my home when I get time to.

What is your favorite product right now?
I'm going to have to go with my Beach Babe bracelet. I spent many days on the beach and miss it so much.

What is your definition of success?
I guess my definition of success would be happiness. If you are truely happy with your life then you are already successful. I know that sounds corny but thats how I feel.

Who or what are your inspirations?
Life in general is my inspiration. A rain drop dripping off a rose, a bird splashing around in the bird bath, my children running around outside, a field of corn....just everything. There is always so much going around us that I think we all too often fail to really see. To see it and then to really see it are two completely different things.

How do you deal with creative blocks?
I put it all down and walk away. I tend to feel that if I'm getting a block it's because I'm trying too hard or have been spending too much time with it. Sometimes the best way to get over a creative block is to just step away and go for a drive or a walk or just sit outside on the porch and enjoy some coffee.

Where do you see your business in 5 years?
Honestly, I have no idea. I just take it day by day. I may wake up one morning and decide it really doesn't fit in with my life anymore...or on the other hand I may decide I want to do this until I'm no longer able. You just never know what life may throw at you.


What is your favorite thing to shop for on Etsy?

Nothing in particular. I love to just browse and see what I find. I recently purchased the most adorable peapod magnet from PolpetteClay. I didn't set out to buy a peapod magnet, I was just browsing and saw it. It was so funny because they had faces. I knew I needed to add that to my fridge. Every time I see it, it makes me smile. I love things like that - things that make you smile and laugh.

Thanks Jess!