Thursday, June 23, 2011

Marvelous Mom - Creative Art by ME

 
Tell us about yourself:

I'm a married mom with two little ones. Sophia is 7 and Jacob is 3.I am an art education and fine arts graduate from Purdue University. After school I worked and taught at a ceramic studio in Crystal Lake, IL. After 8 years we moved back to Fort Wayne, IN where we are both from.
Shortly after our move our daughter Sophia was diagnosed with bilateral renal cancer. After a year of chemo, surgery and radiation treatments she has been cancer free for two years. However, because of this cancer being rare she was tested for a genetic link. Unfortunately both of my children have Beckwith Weideman Syndrome. So now my son is tested regularly for the same cancer associated with this syndrome.
Recently my son was diagnosed with Aspberger's. To say the least my creative ventures were put on hold for a while. Recently I put some of my work in a consignment store in St. Joe, IN called The Big Red Barn.  There I also sell silk paintings, hankie pillows, bookmarks, shawl pins and soon knitting stitch markers and oil cloth rugs.
I just got my Etsy store started in March and my Facebook page in May. I hope to get a blog up soon too. I try to squeeze in as much time as I can to create. It helps me focus on other things than the kids being sick and an outlet for myself.




What makes you unique?
I learned a way to knit with wire and have adapted it to suit me and what I want to create. However if you hand me knitting needles and yarn and ask me to knit I wouldn't know where to start! I have looked through knitting with wire books and instructions and I mine is definitely not done the same way! Definitely unique!. I also consider myself a bit of a versatile artist. I have done a lot in many mediums throughout my life. Ceramics, painting, silk painting, drawing, jewelry, printmaking and sewing.

What do you love about kids?
Everyday is an adventure. You never know what the day will bring. But everyday with my two brings about amazement, happiness, love and a pinch of the silly's.

What are you currently doing besides your shop crafts?
Being a MEGA MOM!:)

What is the link to your etsy shop?
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CreativeArtbyME

What do you offer in your etsy shop?
Right now hand knitted fine silver jewelry and also some beaded pieces. I hope to have so much more in the future.

Where do you create?
I have an office, but I also like to knit in the family room while enjoying some of my favorite TV shows after the kids have gone to bed.



Where do you find your inspiration?
I try to take everything in. if i see something that inspires me I tear it out of a magazine, or draw it when the thought is there. I try not to be afraid to try new things, sometimes the "mistake" leads you to the next adventure. I also go with my gut to create a variety of unique pieces that I know would please others to wear.

How did you get started in your current line of business?
My mother in law asked me last fall if I could make some art work for her new store. Here I am now trying it on my own. Who knew all I needed was that little nudge. Now I can't seem to stop! :)

How do you promote your business?
Right now thru The Big Red Barn, here on Etsy and Facebook, A blog - Creative Art by Me.



What is one of the most important lessons you've learned since starting your business?
Don't give up and try, try again.
Take advice even if it wouldn't have been the way you would have done it yourself.

What advice would you give someone just starting out?
Not sure I can answer this, I have so much to learn and really could use the advice myself. Please feel free to give it , good blogs? What should I do to my shop? No really, email mail me some suggestions! :)



What are some of your favorite online shops, both etsy and non-etsy?
Emily Balivet, Imagine Studio on Etsy and I shop many jewelry findings stores online, like Rio Grande jewelry and Fire mountain Gems and beads.