Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Marvelous Mom - Shannon of I Heart Quotes


Tell us about yourself:
A little bit about myself: I am a stay at home mom, who rarely stays at home.  I love being outdoors with my amazing family of three kids and my husband. My perfect day would be sitting in the mountains in a well lighted cabin reading all day.
Living in Colorado, I have the best places to explore via hiking and sightseeing.  We are now on summer break and ready for new adventures! 
I am thrilled beyond words that my dream of owning my own "shop" and selling my products has come true.
What makes you unique?
I am very creative, and I often have "Martha Stewart" moments where I wake up in the middle of the night with new ideas.  I have to keep a notebook on my end table to write these ideas and projects down that come from nowhere.


What do you love about kids?
The best part of being around kids all day is their sense of humor.  I seriously laugh all day! My kids are 11, 9, and 3 so there are many laughable moments.
What are you currently doing besides your shop crafts?
Besides running my Etsy shop, I love photography and scrapbooking.  I keep my camera with me all of the time as I try to accomplish the photo a day project.
What is the link to your etsy shop?
The link to my Etsy shop is www.IHeartQuotes.etsy.com


What do you offer in your etsy shop?
I offer custom and decorative products for the home, using wooden blocks and boards, stoneware mugs and plates that are personalized and embellished with vinyl.  I also offer vinyl words, quotes and designs that can be directly applied to the wall for a beautiful hand painted look.  My biggest seller is my Personalized Birthday Plates that can be either glass or melamine.  The plates are personalized with the child's name and their birthday and can be used year after year to celebrate their special day.
Where do you create?
I typically create in my loft.  This room has been a daycare room, a library, a computer room and is now officially my mom cave!  I can often be found designing on one computer, blog hopping on another, and facebooking on the third computer.  I try really hard to keep my workspace organized and clean, but that isn't usually the case.  I also love being out in the garage where I cut, sand, and paint all of the wood I use for my signs and blocks.  I am a women who loves her power tools!

Where do you find your inspiration?
My inspirations come from shabby chic and cottage magazines and blogs.  I love the look of weathered wood, and can visualize so many great products just by seeing a pile of wood in someone's driveway.  My children love giving me their ideas on what I should make next.  The birthday plates were an idea from my 11 year old daughter!
How did you get started in your current line of business?
When I purchased my Silhouette SD and realized all of the awesome things I could create with vinyl, I decided to start up my own business.  I had, and still have, a fabulous mentor, who is also in the vinyl lettering business.  We shoot ideas back and forth all of the time.  I recently purchased a larger, 24 inch, vinyl plotter, so look out for some new, large products.  I started very small, and have increased my inventory, and now I have almost daily sales!

How do you promote your business?
Facebook is my number one way of promoting my business.  I also receive referrals from previous buyers, as well as from friends.  Word of mouth and networking is huge in the crafting world.  I would love to get a blog started up for my business but honestly, where would I find the time to do that?
What advice would you give someone just starting out?
The best advice I would give to someone just starting out, is just do it! Take the plunge and enjoy what you do.  If you have passion in your products it will show, and they will sell.
What is one of the most important lessons you've learned since starting your business?
The most important lessons I have learned since starting my own business is to communicate with your buyers.  When I create a customized product for someone, even through email and convo's, I try to get to know the buyer.  What do colors do they like, what is their style, and so on. I feel like I have friends all over the world that I will probably never meet, just by conversations that we have.
What are some of your favorite online shops, both etsy and non-etsy?