Monday, August 9, 2010

Marvelous Mom Monday - Bridget - Smart sAss Baby

As EtsyMoms we often run busy households, yet we still find time to nurture our creative sides and have a great time doing it! I have been wanting to know more about this fun EtsyMom ever since I first saw her shop name, Smart sAss Baby (http://ccangel331.etsy.com/). If you're looking for apparel with an attitude for your sassy child, then you will love her shop's assorted collection of "Attitude" T's. Meet our Marvelous Mom for the week, Bridget!

Tell us about yourself?

What's there to say, I am an unexpectedly unemployed workaholic! Needless to say, this caused quite a problem for my "need-to-stay-busy" brain. After a week or two of self pity and despair I decided to make my own work, to stop rushing and busying around and begin enjoying life like I haven't done in a long, long time. Through this self discovery came my first pet project, "Summer of Self Improvement." I decided to begin a summer of enjoying the little things in life, having fun with my daughter before I send her off to kindergarten *sniff* and my newborn son. We planted a garden, enjoyed crafts, and just being together. I started a blog and am documenting my journey of self discovery.


What makes you unique as a woman?

My pink cordless drill. My ability to put together a kids clubhouse in strappy wedges.

What do you love about kids?

I have worked in the child care field for 17 years. There is not a day that goes by that I am bored at my job or am not laughing. I love the fact that no matter how sad you are kids will always do something to make you smile, and half the time they don't even mean to be funny. I love their discovery of everything - how the smallest crumb on the floor becomes the most intriguing thing in the room. I love watching infants that have no verbal speech, yet their faces tell you everything you need to know about what they are thinking and most times it's sarcastic.

What are you currently doing besides your creative craft?

I am learning to be a stay-at-home Mom. I am not good at this domestic thing and idolize anyone who is! I am working on building Smart sAss Baby and also building my sales as a Madison Handbag Consultant so I can continue to afford to stay home and get better at this cooking and cleaning stuff =D.

http://www.ccangel331.etsy.com/

What do you offer in your Etsy shop?

My Attitude Tee's for Kids with Attitude. Remember those non-verbal kids and their faces full of thoughts, I take those thoughts and bring them to life.

Where do you create?

Mostly on my computer. Coming up with the initial design is the first step.

Where do you find your inspiration?
Finding a saying and letting the design come to life from it. I see tons of attitude tee's with nothing but words on them, while adorable I wanted to give them more life than that.

How did you get started in your line of business?

Many things come from my 12 week-old son. He has such a personality that I just couldn't see putting him in powder blue clothes. It wasn't him, didn't fit his personality. I started buying shirts off of etsy for him and finally my family was like why don't you just make your own. I've always played with graphic design programs so why not.

How do you promote your business?

Facebook mostly. I joined a few Etsy groups in hopes of the socialization bumping my viewings and I sell locally here in Albany at two shops.



What is one of your most important lessons you've learned since starting your business?

Do what you love. I have so much FUN doing this. I get so excited to create a new design, especially when it makes me laugh. I love when people say they visited the shop and laughed right out loud.

What advice would you give someone just starting out?

Be patient. It takes time and patient. Don't get upset if your first sale doesn't come immediately.

What are some of your favorite online shops on and off Etsy?

On Etsy - http://www.thesleepingbabe.etsy.com/ - her baby blankets are the softest and most rich looking blankets. My son LOVES his minky and we can't leave the house without it (we have 4 just in case one is in the wash or goddess forbid we lose one).

http://www.zeldascloset.etsy.com/ - the most adorable dolls ever! My daughter has one and after seeing it I had to order 2 more for other people who fell in love with them. She cares about her "babies" and it shows in her work.

Off Etsy - I am addicted to Amazon.

What are your other sites (i.e. Blogger, Wordpress, Facebook, Twitter)?
You can find me at:

www.smartsassbaby.com - my homesite


Be sure to visit Bridget's Etsy shop and leave a comment letting her know how much you enjoy her work!