Friday, April 23, 2010

Marvelous Mom Weekly - Maite - Tamsy Trends

This week's featured Etsymom is Maite from Tamsy Trends, your one-stop shop for uniquely handcrafted jewelry, accessories and décor. If you ever wonder what happens when you mix science with art, then Maite can certainly share it with you. Reading her profile on Etsy I found out that she is a technology consultant and a self-taught jewelry artist. The end results are beautiful jewelry and accessories. I am always impressed with the talents of our Etsymom! Let's get to know more about Maite below:

Estymom: Maite - Tamsy Trends (http://www.tamsytrends.etsy.com/)




A little background:


My name is Maite and I am a stay-at-home mom to two daughters – Idoia who is now 10 yrs old and Andion who is 8. My Etsy shop is Tamsy Trends http://www.TamsyTrends.etsy.com I make handcrafted jewelry and beaded accessories for men and women, including bridal pieces, hairpins, keychains, purse charms, beaded napkin rings, bookmarks and rosaries.



How I started:

I have been crafting since I was very young. In my family, I was always known for giving my own handmade items as birthday gifts. I remember sewing clothes for my dolls and as I grew older, I also started sewing my own clothes. My journey with jewelry making started a few years ago when my kids started elementary school and I found myself finally having a little extra time on my hands. I already knew how to sew so I started sewing stuff for my house – curtains, table cloths and napkins etc. Then, on a trip to a craft store, I picked up a jewelry making book and starter kit and decided to try to learn how to make necklaces and bracelets. My thinking then was I would make a couple of pieces for myself and my kids and if my end products were good enough, I would give a couple to my relatives as Christmas gifts. Well, needless to say, I got completely hooked and I did not stop making jewelry since then.



What inspired me:

I would say that when I do my craft, I draw a lot of inspiration from the colors I see everyday, whether it be from a nice painting I saw or a certain window display, from the colors of buildings on the street or my kids’ drawings. When I create jewelry, I always try to make simple but elegant pieces. I go for versatility, rather than just following the latest trends and my goal is to create classic pieces that do not quickly go out of style.



Other links for Tamsy Trends:

I have a blog where I share my crafting adventures: http://tamsytrends.blogspot.com/
You can also find me and my work on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TamsyTrends
Twitter: http://twitter.com/tamsytrends